There are several different ways to travel from Incheon International Airport to downtown Seoul. The most popular ways include taking the Airport Railroad Express (AREX), Seoul Metropolitan Subway, airport limousine buses, and taxis. Among these, the Airport Railroad has the benefit of avoiding traffic on the roads, allowing tourists to arrive at their destination at a specific time. The Airport Railroad Express runs directly from Incheon International Airport Terminal 1 and Terminal 2 to Seoul Station, with no stops along the way. On the other hand, the airport buses make it easy to reach a variety of tourist attractions and hotels throughout Seoul. If the train and bus are too confusing, visitors can also pay more and take a taxi from the airport directly to their destination.
Airport Railroad Express (AREX)
The Airport Railroad Express (AREX) operates two trains: the Express Trains running from Incheon International Airport Terminal 1 and Terminal 2 directly to Seoul Station and the All Stop Train that stops by 13 subway stations along the way from Incheon International Airport Terminal 2 to Seoul Station.
Operating hours / Travel time
- – Express Train
- · Incheon Int’l Airport Terminal 1 Station → Seoul Station 05:23 (first train) – 22:48 (last train) / Approx. 43 min
- · Incheon Int’l Airport Terminal 2 Station → Seoul Station 05:15 (first train) – 22:40 (last train) / Approx. 51 min
- – All Stop Train
- · Incheon Int’l Airport Terminal 1 Station → Seoul Station 05:25 (first train) – 23:39 (last train) / Approx. 58 min
- · Incheon Int’l Airport Terminal 2 Station → Seoul Station 05:18 (first train) – 23:32 (last train) / Approx. 66 min
- * All Stop Train operating schedule for is trains bound for Seoul Station. Please refer to the official website for timetable for trains bound for Digital Media City.
Fare (Incheon Int’l Airport Terminal 1 Station → Seoul Station)
- – Express Train: Adults 9,000 won / Children 7,000 won
* Same fare applies for trains from Incheon Int’l Airport Terminal 2 Station.
- – All Stop Train: Adults 4,150 won
* Fare from Incheon Int’l Airport Terminal 2 Station: 4,750 won
* Above fare is based on a standard one-time use transportation card (excluding 500 won refundable deposit). Deposit can be refunded at the arrival station.
AREX: Express Train vs. All Stop Train
The Express Train travels non-stop from Incheon Int’l Airport Terminal 1 Station and Terminal 2 Station to Seoul Station. To take this train, passengers must purchase an Express Train Pass from the station. No additional deposit is charged for the pass. A discount is available for customers who present flight tickets from Jeju Air, Korean Air, Asiana Airlines, T’way Air, or Eastar Jet for departure within seven days. More information can be found on the official website.
☞ Website: www.arex.or.kr (Korean, English, Japanese, Chinese)
☞ Ticketing locations: AREX Travel Center at Incheon Int’l Airport Terminal 1 Station (Transportation Center B1) / AREX Travel Center at Incheon Int’l Airport Terminal 2 Station
☞ Payment method: Credit card and cash both accepted
☞ How to use ticket vending machine for Express Train
All Stop Train
The All Stop Train makes stops at all the subway stations on its way from Incheon Int’l Airport Terminal 1 & Terminal 2 Stations to Seoul Station. Six of the subway stations allow transfers to other metropolitan area subway lines. To take this train, passengers must use a transportation card. International visitors may also use the foreigner-exclusive prepaid transportation card MPASS.
☞ Transportation card purchase locations: Transportation Center on B1F of Incheon Int’l Airport Terminal 1 & Terminal 2 (Single-journey transit card), convenience stores inside Incheon International Airport (Tmoney card), Tourist Information Center near Gates 5 & 10 on 1F of Incheon International Airport Terminal 1 (MPASS)
☞ Payment method: Cash only
☞ Transportation card information: Tmoney / Exclusive Tourist Cards
☞ Subway information: Subways in Korea / Seoul Tours by Subway
Airport bus information
Airport buses run from Incheon International Airport to many areas of Seoul. Tickets can be purchased at the ticket booths just outside the 1F Arrivals Hall of each terminal. Detailed inquiries on bus routes and bus stops can be made here.
Airport bus types
There are two types of airport buses: deluxe and standard. Deluxe buses operate on non-stop or shortened routes to major hotels and destinations. As these buses make fewer stops, they have a shorter travel time, as well as having comfortable seats with more space. Standard buses tend be more crowded with smaller seats and make more stops. Please note that the fare for the two bus types may differ depending on their routes and destinations.
How to take an airport bus
- ① Check bus routes and purchase tickets at the ticket booths located at the Arrivals Hall (1F) of Terminal 1 near Gates 4 & 9 or outside by Gates 4, 6, 7, 8, 11, 13 or 9C.Tickets at Terminal 2 can be purchased from the bus terminal at the Transportation Center (B1)
- ② Check bus boarding number indicated on the ticket.
- ③ Go to the bus boarding location and double check bus route and departure time.
- ④ Once aboard the bus, listen carefully to the English announcement for your stop.
How to take a taxi
You can easily take a taxi from the airport at the taxi stands located just outside the Arrivals Hall (1F) of both terminals. You can choose to take a regular taxi, a deluxe taxi or a jumbo taxi depending on your situation. If you wish to take a taxi with a driver who can communicate in English, Japanese, or Chinese, you can request for an international taxi at counter no. 23 and 46 in the Arrivals Hall of Terminal 1 or make a reservation in advance online. For international taxis from Terminal 2, travelers must make a reservation in advance online or over the phone.
Taxi types and fares
Taxis can be categorized into regular, deluxe, jumbo, and international taxis. The fares vary as listed below
Base fare begins at 3,000 won (Seoul standard) with a 20% increased charge from the base fare at nighttime (24:00-04:00).
Deluxe & jumbo taxi
Base fare for deluxe and jumbo taxis begins at 5,000 won (Seoul standard). There is no additional nighttime charge.
International taxi * International taxi fares are fixed according to region
- Reservations: +82-2-1644-2255 / www.intltaxi.co.kr (Korean, English, Japanese, Chinese)
* Korean phone number is required for making online reservations.
- Regular international taxi: 55,000~75,000 won
- Deluxe/Jumbo international taxi: 80,000~110,000 won
If by any chance a driver tries to take advantage of you by demanding an inflated fare, report the incident to the Seoul Global Center (+82-2-2075-4180), which offers services in English, Japanese, Chinese, Russian, Vietnamese, Mongolian, Filipino, Uzbek, and Thai. You can also report your complaint to the Dasan Call Center (+82-2-120), which offers services in English, Japanese, Chinese, Vietnamese and Mongolian.When making a domestic call in Korea, you do not need to dial the international code (+82). In addition, the region code can also be omitted when making a call within the same province.